Monday, October 3, 2011

doce y media

Short post here. Wednesday Sept 28 was move in day. Again 95 degrees. Again carrying our lives around in suitcases. I am nominated to discuss the arrangements of moving in with our landlord Julio. He tells me over the phone the day before move in that we should meet him at the piso with our money and he will give us the keys. Now Julio, like almost everyone else in Sevilla, talks without finishing his words. An ‘s’ at the end of a word is never pronounced in this city, making it very difficult for a foreigner trying to learn Spanish (ME) to understand.

Anyway, Julio said meet me at dos y media, 2:30. On the morning of move in we wake up and go down to a café to get some food before our day begins. At 1pm I get a phone call, and 2 other missed calls, from Julio! I answer the phone worried about what he might have to say to me. “Are you coming?” he says. I said yes in an hour and a half we would be there. He replies that he has been waiting in the apartment for us 30 minutes, since doce y media. So there it is the famous Sevillana slur, getting us into trouble with the landlord on our first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment