Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

 
el día de acción de gracias
Today marks the fourth Thanksgiving of the past six that I have been out of the country, more specifically, in Spain. I should be used to it by now, and to a certain extent, I am. But that doesn’t mean that when I woke up this morning I didn’t wish I could crawl into bed with my sister and watch the Thanksgiving Day parade. That doesn’t mean I don’t wish I were gathering together with my family at some point this afternoon to stuff ourselves silly with turkey and pumpkin pie, and then maybe watch some football.

Although today is a very difficult day for me to be away from home, I still appreciate the significance of the day. Even though it is not a holiday here, I think it should be observed and people should all take a step back to recognize and appreciate the things they have and are grateful for. After all that’s what thanksgiving is really about, not just eating so much food that you think you may never eat again!

I am extremely grateful for my family and friends, especially for all the support and help they have given me throughout my experiences abroad. I am also grateful for the opportunities I have been given so far in my life; the fact that I am able to spend so much time living and learning in another country is not something I take for granted. 
So I wish a Happy Thanksgiving to all, Americans and not, but especially to those of you who are spending the holiday out of the patria…And for those in the States, eat an extra helping of stuffing for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment