Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Morning in Macarena



On the topic of new beginnings…I thought I’d take this opportunity to enroll myself in an official language class for the mornings, partly because I love learning languages, and partly because there are some aspects of my life that would be easier if I were officially a student here. So this morning I ventured into the Macarena neighborhood of Sevilla, might as well be another city for all I know, think I went there once the whole time I lived here last year. Luckily, the bus pretty much dropped me off right in front of the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas (Official Language School). I had to walk a little but my handy dandy iPhone 3 maps app helped me out. I only walked in one cirle. I thought the fact that I arrived without (with relatively little) trouble was a good omen. And, I was wrong…

When I arrived there was a line that wrapped around the entire building. I thought it was odd that there would be so many people wanting to sign up for a language class TODAY. I mean I know a lot of people are unemployed and want to take advantage of their free time to learn English, but it literally seemed like the entire city of Seville was there to sign up for classes. And I didn't want to wait.

Well I walked myself to the front of the line where I could see people entering the building, to wait on more lines, but couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. I didn’t know what specifically these people were waiting for. I couldn’t see a person they were waiting to talk to at the front of the line, although I assume there was someone there.

As I was walking back to the end of the line, feeling a little defeated, I heard something that sounded like my name. I was listening to my iPod so I thought maybe I was just going a little crazy, imagining things as a result of lack of sleep (this work schedule really throws off my sleep schedule…dinner at 11pm??? That’s bedtime for me!) Turns out I’m not crazy, or at least in this particular instance, and there was actually someone I knew in the line! What are the chances, I know about five people in Sevilla!

A fellow volunteer from the Davis Cup was waiting to sign up for English classes.  She was very confused to see me there, seeing as I am a native English speaker. Luckily she explained to me that all the people in line were in fact signing up for English classes; the signup for other languages was in another part of the building. Phew! One point of confusion settled.

When I ventured into the other side of the building, I did in fact see signs indicating that there were classes besides English at the school. There were class lists on the walls, and things written in Italian and German and French. But that was about as much luck as I had! I know there are classes in languages besides English. I asked one very unfriendly lady about signing up, and she said, from what I understood, “you can’t, look online.” Well that was super helpful, and she was about the only actual person I could find who seemed to work there. So, I left. I’m taking her helpful advice, and looking online. And all the information is for the 2011-2012 school year. Awesome!

I do however have a Plan B. And that includes bringing a Spanish person with me next time I go, if there is a next time…. or making one of my Spanish friends call. Keep y’all posted! I know you are dying to find out what happens next!

In other news, it looks like my bank account from last year was never actually closed down even though I did cancel it. Lucky for me! Now (I’m pretty sure) I don’t have to open a new one!

No comments:

Post a Comment