Monday, May 28, 2012

Weekend in BCN




This weekend I went back to my old Spanish stomping grounds, Barcelona. Chelsea and I decided to take advantage of the puente (long weekend) we had for Rocio, a religious pilgrimage in the south of spain. From what I understand, it is similar to the Camino de Santiago except everyone does it at the same time of year. I’m pretty sure once they get there its just a big party (what else is new Spain) for five days, with a little bit of praying involved. For some reason I still can’t figure out, this virgin is more important than all the others and deserves her own pilgrimage. Before I left on Friday I saw the beginning of the journey to rocio. They are all different depending on the hermandad (brotherhood). Some walk, some drive, some go on horseback. And they dress in the typical southern spain (feria) garb, flamenco dresses and trajes de corto. But, as I’ve been told, the dresses are a little different in that they are more comfortable (finally someone realized its nice to be able to breath in a dress).

Anyway, after deciding not to take part in this religious pilgrimage, I went up north to Barcelona. I had my first couch surfing experience. I have been hearing only good things about couch surfing since I first heard about it freshman year. For those who don’t know, it’s basically a project for young travelers who want to save money. In exchange for offering up a couch or your company in your home town, you are given a variety of couches to choose from in your destination. Now all you skeptics may be doubtful of such a thing, but there are ways to verify that people are not creepers. But yes, it does involve a certain level of trust and maybe stupidity.

Well, I’m alive and well to tell the tale. And all is well that ends well, right? Our host was a student at the university in Barcelona, but he is from Paraguay. He was very friendly and willing to help us figure out what we wanted to do and how to get around town (although I did remember quite a bit from living there in 2007). He also took us out with him on Saturday night, and I really enjoyed meeting new people. 

We spent a lot of our time walking around town because the weather while we were there was absolutely perfect, 75 and sunny every day. We visited the beach, the rambla, Sagrada Familia, the Barcelona Cathedral, Parc Guell, the boqueria, plaza espanya and watched the magic fountain show. We probably did more but that’s what comes to mind right now. Unfortunately I did not get to eat at my favorite restaurant, Cal Pep, because when we went to eat there at 3:30pm they told us they were closed, despite all the customers eating at the bar. I was thoroughly disappointed but I can’t say I was let down by the food I did eat in Barcelona. I mostly ate at places I’d never been before and everything was amazing.


It was great to be in the city during the king’s cup final. Everyone was really happy they won, and I’m pretty sure there was a big celebration on Sunday because almost everyone was wearing a jersey that day.

It was really nice to visit Barcelona again. I think it has to be one of my favorite cities I’ve been to. Although now I am a little more broke, I’d say the trip was definitely worth it!

Now, for my final two weeks in Seville…

No comments:

Post a Comment