Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Long Awaited Post

Ok my dear blog readers, here it is, my long awaited next blog post. It has been brought to my attention that it is no longer Halloween, and is in fact almost thanksgiving. So I apologize for not writing for so long and that you had to see “today was Halloween” for so long. I guess I’ve been kinda busy…or maybe just lazy. Many things have happened since Halloween but I don’t think they are the most interesting events to recount. I’ve picked up another private lesson, thank god! And yesterday, I started a new language exchange, or intercambio (I like that word better), with a Spanish girl named Isabel. She is really sweet and has already invited me to do a ton of things with her and her friends.


In the past two weekends I’ve taken two really fun trips. First I went to Arcos de la Frontera to visit a friend I made on my flight to Spain. Cece, the friend, kindly hosted me and three other Sevilla amigas in her awesome apartment that she has all to herself, and pays for it as much as I pay for my room... The price you pay to live in a city; although the price I pay would buy me one kitchen tile in NYC. En fin, Cece showed us around her lovely pueblo blanco, her very hilly pueblo blanco. At least I got some exercise, although at the time I wasn’t much enjoying the climb up and down the hills to get to her house. After seeing the old town, eating some delicious food, and hitting up the Friday morning market, we made our trek back to Sevilla. We had a fun night out on the town, and I met a few of Cece’s Spanish friends here, super fun.


After another busy week of doing I don’t know what, I went to Madrid for the weekend. It was sort of a spur of the moment decision, but I am SOOOOO happy I decided to go. It was great to be back. I stayed with my host mom from my semester abroad, Concha. She was and is so great. She gave up her room so that I could stay in it with a friend. Also, Concha and her sister Louisa cooked us almost every meal we had there. It was really nice to eat real meals three days in a row, however it did make my potato chip lunch on Monday that much worse.


In Madrid it was cold and rainy so I didn’t do that much sightseeing, plus I have already seen a lot of the sites. We did walk around a bit and eat chocolate con churros at the city’s famous San Gines. One night I went out to dinner with a girl, Marts, who coaches/plays for the girls’ lacrosse team in Madrid. After dinner she showed us around town a little. It was a really fun weekend. We didn’t get back into Seville until 11:30 Sunday night (after a miserable 6.5 hour bus ride) so needless to say, Monday was a difficult day for me.


This Thursday is thanksgiving, as most of you know. As an entirely American holiday, it is not celebrated at all here in Spain. I do have plans to eat thanksgiving dinner with some American friends so hopefully that will be fun, if we can find a turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment