Monday, October 31, 2011

¡Mira, es una bruja!

Today was Halloween at school. Today was also the second time in my Spanish life that someone has pointed at me and said “mira, es una bruja” (look, it’s a witch). The first time was during my semester in madrid. After a night of dancing, when we finally left the club I was wobbling a little in my heels. I am not very good at wearing heels in the first place; I am especially not good at dancing in heels. So I guess someone thought I was walking like a witch and exclaimed to their friend, look it’s a witch!


Well today the incident was a little more deserved, as I was indeed dressed like a witch. At school one of the teachers painted my face. She must have done a really good job because the kids hardly recognized me. I also know she did a good job because I could not get the paint off without washing my face about ten times.


Anyway, as I was walking home from the spot that I get dropped off at in Triana (the part of town I live in), a lot of people were staring at me because my face was painted and I was wearing a witch hat. People definitely know that today is Halloween, but outside of a few primary schools, that doesn’t really mean anything here. So I can understand why some people would think it’s strange to see a witch walking down the streets. I knew I was in for a treat on my walk home because on my walk to the bus this morning I got a lot of looks. And all I was wearing was black pants and shirt, orange and black striped socks and black boots. I hadn’t even put on my flashing pumpkin earrings yet!!


All in all, today was a fun day. A lot of the kids dressed up, of course as either a witch, a vampire or a skeleton (see previous post). We did a little trick or treating (kids say trick or treat, teachers hand out candy), and I had some spider rings and plastic bats that the kids loved. I don’t know why some people don’t like the holiday here, apparently there was a parent who complained about the school celebrating Halloween. But I’m happy we did.


Now time to celebrate Halloween with the big kids…HAPPY HALLOWEEN a todos!

No comments:

Post a Comment